There is a great history behind the George Johnson House, an Ocean Park Inn, which led it to offering the wonderful accommodations that it does today.
George C. Johnson
was born on January 26, 1872, in California,
and he died on February
14, 1934, in Ocean Park, WA. He was brought to Washington at the age
of two years when his parents died, and he was adopted by J.C. and
Margaret Sullivan Johnson of Oysterville.
He married Mary Lescher
of New Haven, Connecticut in 1911and was primarily involved
in the oyster industry. He lived most of his life in Ocean Park
and was well known on the Peninsula.
It is said that George and
Mary Johnson mapped their "cottage" floor in the ocean
beach sand. The cottage appeared smaller than they wanted when
outlined in the sand, so they increased the dimensions. To their
surprise, they ended up with more than a cottage.
blueprints from the Craftsman Bungalow Company of
Seattle are still with the house. The
local carpenter and home builder, S.A. Matthews, built
the home in 1913.
The home stayed in the Johnson
family until 1969, when the estate of Mary Johnson
gifted the house to the Episcopal Diocese of Olympia.
1970, the house was sold by the Church to Neal and Catherine
Troeh. Catherine Herrold Troeh has maintained ownership since
that time. Some contemporary bath and kitchen modifications
have taken place, but the majority of the interior is original.
Their daughter, Charlotte Killien, has operated the Bed & Breakfast